Thursday, June 21, 2012

Introduction

Time for canning and preserving our favorite garden and orchard produce is fast approaching!   My garden is coming on nicely even though drought is ravaging this entire area this year!!

Because canning is a large part of my kitchen repertoire, I begin early making sure I have enough supplies (canning jars, lids, etc) on hand because these are seasonal items and tend to run out quickly at the local stores. 

Now is the time to make sure you have all the necessary equipment and recipes on hand.  I started buying one case of new Ball canning jars each week to build up my supply.  May I recommend to anyone out there who even thinks they might be interested in preserving food to do the same?  There is initial upfront expenses when canning and preserving, but the savings in the long run far outweigh it!!  I can buy in bulk when produce or meats are on sale and preserve it for use all year long.  It really helps stretch the budget further!

A list of canning basics includes the following:

Pressure Canner  and/or  Water Bath Canner (depends on what you're preserving)
Canning Jars/lids/inserts
Canning Funnel
Magnetic Lid Lifter
Jar Lifter
Skinny Spatula to free bubbles
Recipes

Try looking at garage sales, Goodwill Stores or even flea markets for these items.  

For a good recipe book, one of my favorites can be found HERE
 
Will be back soon with tips, recipes, and how-to's.

No comments:

Post a Comment