Thursday, July 5, 2012

Canning Butter

Ok, you might be wondering why a person would can butter?   My personal motivation is saving money.  If I find a good quality butter on sale I purchase 12 lbs and can up two cases of the 8 oz jars and put them in my basement.  It lasts up to 3 years at room temperature this way as opposed to only a few months in the freezer.


Isn't the end product beautiful!  The creamy, buttery yellow color is amazing!  



Ok, so how do you can butter? Here's what you do.......  
  • Purchase high quality salted butter.  Cheaper brands tend to separate, but go ahead and experiment with your favorite and see what happens.  I found Kroger brand did just fine.
  • Sterilize jars by putting them in a 225 degree oven for 20 min.  I just do this step first and let them heat up while I continue on.
  • Melt butter in saucepan and bring to a very gentle boil.  While it boils skim the foam off the top and discard. Don't take longer than 5 min skimming. 
  • Fill hot jars with hot butter.  Wipe rims and put on hot inserts and rings.  Jars seal as they cool.
  • After jars have cooled a couple hours, gently swirl or shake the butter to keep it from separating.  NOTE:  I put pressure on the insert with my fingers so butter doesn't creep up under it while doing this step and prevent the jar from sealing.  
  • When cooled...  label and put into the pantry. 
6 lbs butter will yield 12 - 8 oz jars.




No comments:

Post a Comment