Monday, July 23, 2012

Canning Hamburger




A Mennonite friend of mine taught me how she learned to pressure can hamburger by some ladies in her church.  It's a tried and proven method in many circles... so thought I'd give it a try.  Here's what I did:


  • Simmer inserts on stove while building jars.
  • Cut up onions and add to raw hamburger (optional)
  • Pack pint or quart jars tightly with hamburger/onion mixture to 1" from the top.  
  • Indent a finger in the center of the hamburger because it tends to rise up in the middle and pop the inserts if you don't.
  • Add inserts and rings
  • Pressure can according to your altitude.  I live at 0-1000 ft so I can quarts 90 min/10#   or     pints 75 min/10#

   
Finished product
 To get the hamburger out...  I simply put jar in microwave just long enough to melt some of the fat that had solidified as it cooled and drain it off.  Then just use a fork or knife to remove.

Another option:  Fry your hamburger as you normally would when preparing a dish.  Drain grease.  Then add to jars with 2 tablespoons water in the bottom and process as above.

Both options turn out wonderful.  I've done it both ways, but prefer putting it in the jar raw when I have lots to do because it's too time consuming to cook it first.  Besides, the pressure canner will cook it thoroughly anyhow.

I'm still using hamburger I canned two years ago and it's still good!

No comments:

Post a Comment